Monday, July 22, 2024

A man of honour

Haiku of exposure


David was a cad,

and worse; it can’t be denied.

Power, corruption.


The season of spring,

and the army is away;

what’s a king to do?


Bathing on the roof;

he saw her. She was gorgeous.

David was lustful


He enquired, found out

her name. Married? No problem,

Bring her to me, now.


You can guess the rest.

Bathsheba, Uriah’s wife,

sends word: I’m pregnant!


David pens a note

to his general, Joab.

Send me Uriah.


Tell me Uriah,

how goes the war? It goes well.

Good; go to your house!


Uriah remains

at the palace. His honour

won’t let him go home.


The ark and army

are in tents. Will I go home

and lie with my wife?


Uriah returns.

The note reads: Place at the front,

then draw back from him.


We expect better

from our leaders. King David,

you are a disgrace!


Power, honour: not

impossible partners, but

seldom together.


© Ken Rookes 2024


No comments:

A capable wife

Haiku of exceptional virtue A celebration of womanhood. The bar is high, some find it daunting. No mere appendage, this wo...