Monday, February 5, 2024

Elijah is taken up

Haiku for a succession


The aging prophet,

Elijah, was on the move;

Gilgal to Bethal.


He told Elisha,

Wait here. No, said his junior,

I will not leave you.


The local prophets

announce: This day your master

will depart! I know.


The action repeats.

Bethel, Jericho and Jordan;

they all have a go.


Rolling his mantle

Elijah struck the water.

The Jordan parted.


The old prophet asked

Elisha, Make a request

before I depart.


A double portion

of your spirit! That my friend

is quite a big ask.


If you can see me

as I am taken from you,

it will be granted.


Chariot, horses

of fire separated them;

and then the whirlwind.


Father, my father!

he cried, as the old prophet

ascended on high.


© Ken Rookes 2024

No comments:

Breaking Through

  Haiku of inclusion He’d had a vision. Didn’t know what it meant, ‘til the foreigners came. The Holy Spirit took him from...