Monday, August 28, 2023

What shall I tell them?

Haiku for a calling


Fugitive Moses


finds himself in Midian;


marries, settles down.




Tending Jethro’s sheep


in the wilderness, comes to


Horeb, God’s mountain.




An angel from God


appears in a firey bush.


The bush is unburned.




Moses stops to look.


Well who wouldn’t? Quite a sight;


what is going on?




The Lord speaks to him.


Moses, take off your sandals;


this is holy ground.




It is I, the God


of your fathers: Abraham,


Isaac and Jacob.




I have heard the cries


of my people in Egypt;


I know their anguish.




I am sending you.


You will deliver them, take


them to a new land.




Must be a mistake,


God; you surely can’t mean me!


I will be with you.




When you bring them out


of Egypt you will worship


here, on this mountain.




What shall I tell them


when they ask, What is God’s name?


I am who I am.




Go to your people,


those Israelites in bondage;


say, I AM sent me!





© Ken Rookes 2023

No comments:

Which one?

Haiku for an ordered process Calling a meeting of the hundred and twenty, Peter stood to speak. Having defected, Judas nee...