Monday, August 15, 2022

I am only a boy

Haiku for the hesitant.


Before he was born

Jeremiah was chosen,

set aside by God.


You’ll be a prophet.

I’m sending you to speak to

kingdoms and nations.


Aaargh! Surely not me!

God, I’m not ready for this,

don’t know how to speak!


Jeremiah’s cry

when he first heard God speaking:

I am just a boy!


Don’t say, I’m a boy!

And don’t be afraid of them.

I will be with you.


A symbolic act:

God touches the boy’s mouth, says

My words are yours, now.


Your words have power

over kingdoms; to bring down,

and to build and plant.


If I was sixteen

I might take exception, too;

if God called my name.


© Ken Rookes 2022

No comments:

The wilderness road

Haiku of inclusion and welcome An angel told him: take the wilderness road, south, heading to Gaza. Philip did as told, ...