Sunday, June 21, 2020

Out of the whirlwind

Haiku of the gobsmacked

I am in the dark.
What is the charge against me?
Paint it on my face!

Out of the whirlwind
the voice of the almighty:
Let’s see what you know!

God comes the heavy:
Answer me, if you are game.
My turn to question!

When earth’s foundations
were laid, and its measurements
set out; were you there?

When I gave each star
its place in heaven’s choir
where were you hiding?

Who set the limits
to the oceans as they swelled?
(Do that again, God!)

Those deserted lands
where none pray for rain to fall;
still I water them.

Who gives birth to dew,
rain and sleet; and winter frost
to freeze lakes solid?

After much complaint,
Job, standing before the Lord,
has nothing to say.


© Ken Rookes 2020

Posted in response to the Narrative Lectionary readings from Job for the fourth Sunday after Pentecost

No comments:

The wilderness road

Haiku of inclusion and welcome An angel told him: take the wilderness road, south, heading to Gaza. Philip did as told, ...