Sunday, March 29, 2020

But what of the Poor?

Haiku of poured-out love

Ah, Lord Jesus,
how to show my love for you,
what to make it real?

The very costly
ointment of nard spills over
his face and his hair

Splashed with abandon
in a profound act of love.
A perfumed present.

Loving is costly.
Effort, commitment, struggle;
also many tears.

But what of the poor?
Yes, of course, we all must spend
love upon them, too.

This woman has done
something beautiful for me;
for my burial.

Will I love this way,
with my naked heart exposed,
accepting the pain?


© Ken Rookes 2020

Posting for Palm Sunday, Narrative Lectionary;  Mark's version of the Anointing at Bethany

No comments:

The day is coming!

Haiku for partying Prophet Isaiah paints his partying canvas in bright, dancing hues. Come to God’s mountain, gather with you...