Monday, April 22, 2019

Not unless I see

Haiku of growing hope.

Sunday evening.
The disciples locked the doors,
fearing they were next.

The women’s stories
which might have brought them some hope
went disregarded.

Jesus came and stood
before them: Peace be with you!
His friends were perplexed.

He shows them his hands
to help put their minds at ease.
Yeah, right; that’ll work!

There is rejoicing
along with bewilderment.
The stories were true‽

He sends his friends out,
breathing his Spirit, charging
them to forgive sin.

The absent Thomas,
could not believe that he lives.
Not unless I see!

Seven days later,
so John tells us, Jesus came,
to meet them once more.

Here I am, Thomas!
See the nail-marks in my hands,
touch my wounded side.

Falling to his knees
Thomas cries: My Lord, my God!
Finally convinced.

You see and believe?
Blessed are those who believe
who don’t get to see!

Jesus did much more.
Were the stories written down
they would fill volumes.


© Ken Rookes 2019

No comments:

The day is coming!

Haiku for partying Prophet Isaiah paints his partying canvas in bright, dancing hues. Come to God’s mountain, gather with you...