Wednesday, December 24, 2014

A moment of Christmas longing

A moment of Christmas longing                   Fay White

Christmas is loud percussion
in the symphony of my year,

discordant crass cash registers
beep beeping in my ears,

the tinny ding of tinsel decor
everywhere you go,
and clashing symbols, elf and angel,
songs that mention snow.

And everybody over-busy,
everybody tired,
and most of us  ambivalent
and many of us wired.

And I can hear the doof doof thump
of families in distress 
as Christmas seems to up the ante,
amplifies the mess.

I wish it was
a simple tune,
played on a flute,
or fiddle,
that could slip 
past my defences
and touch me
in my middle,

like the sweetness 
of a baby 
born 
all fresh 
and soft 
and whole,

to light a lamp of wonder

in the midnight of my soul

No comments:

The wilderness road

Haiku of inclusion and welcome An angel told him: take the wilderness road, south, heading to Gaza. Philip did as told, ...