Monday, March 25, 2013

a poem for Good Friday



To the God of the Godless

When I had tired of the wars around me
Longing for forgetfulness, the softness of arms and breasts,
I could not close my ears to the thunder of the living.

But tonight history has ceased to cry out within me.
My white flag of truce is hoisted, my arms are thrown to the ground,
My back is turned to the cannon and here I surrender.

The hunger of generations is nothing now? Nothing.
The brotherhood of heroes? The knowledge of vast constellations?
I have rejected my vision and renounced prophecy.

Love is the final quality, love and not courage.
Not the love of the Gentiles, the crucified love of disciples,
But the love of my love; it has silenced a thousand poems.

I have sought peace in war, serenity in struggle, pity in hatred.
I shall search no longer, the lights are turned down.
Only faintly, faintly, I still hear the marching step of the unborn,
Feet, feet, moving, moving.

‑ DAVID MARTIN


No comments:

Much bolder than before

Haiku for preachers Prisoner Peter, now much bolder than before, is charged with preaching. His resurrection words are a...