Monday, January 2, 2012

Baptise me, John.


Baptise me, John.

I’m tired, need a change,

something to happen,

don’t know what.

Immerse me;

let the Jordan splash over me

and let it wash me deep.

Let the icy plunge

surprise me wakingly and cause me to gasp

as it removes the weary dust

of failure, fear and disappointment.

The water that splashes over my head;

let it clear my mind of narrowness

and open my eyes to the broadest spectrum

of things new and holy.

Drench me, John, that I may be ready

for the soaking of the Divine One

who is surely present in the water

and all around.

Let me be covered

and let me be naked.

Baptise me, John;

mingle my tears with your disturbing water

and turn me around

that I might find the new path,

and the way, beginning here,

among Jordan’s rocks and wetness.


© Ken Rookes

No comments:

Much bolder than before

Haiku for preachers Prisoner Peter, now much bolder than before, is charged with preaching. His resurrection words are a...