Monday, January 16, 2012

Annoyance


Annoyance

Jonah was a prophet,
a clever little man,
who would declare the word of God
according to God's plan.

Jonah was a numbers man
who carefully kept score,
of all the nations' rights and wrongs
according to God's law.

Jonah liked his message
of judgment and of gloom;
he liked to see the bad guys
get what was coming to 'em.

When Jonah got to Nineveh,
after perils quite aquatic,
imagine his disgust when God
chose to be acquit-ic.

Jonah said, "I told you so,
It's all a wild goose chase!
I knew you wouldn't punish them
when you sent me to this place."

Then God replied, "I'm sorry, mate,
but we don't see eye to eye.
I'd rather choose the way of grace
than to see these people die.

"But that's the way I am, yeah,
and that's the way it be.
You can choose to nurse your anger
or show pardon just like me."

© Ken Rookes

No comments:

Much bolder than before

Haiku for preachers Prisoner Peter, now much bolder than before, is charged with preaching. His resurrection words are a...