Monday, September 28, 2026

Pressing on

Haiku responding to Phil 3:4b-14



Do you have reason

to trust in the flesh? If so,

I have more reason.


I was circumcised

on the eighth day, a member

of Benjamin's tribe.


Both of my parents

were Hebrews, as to law, I

was a Pharisee.


A zealous Hebrew,

I persecuted the church,

blameless under law.


Whatever I had

I now regard as nothing,

all because of Christ.


Knowing Christ is all

that matters. It surpasses

in value all else.


There's no righteousness

in following the law; it

comes from God, through faith.


I want to know Christ

and his resurrection, and

to share his suff'ring.


To become like Christ

in his death is to share in

his resurrection.


I am not there yet.

It is my goal; I press on

to lay hold of it.


I forget what lies

behind, and I strain forward

to what lies ahead.


Pressing on toward

the prize, God's heavenly call

in Jesus the Christ.


© Ken Rookes 2026

No comments:

Pressing on

Haiku responding to Phil 3:4b-14 Do you have reason to trust in the flesh? If so, I have more reason. I was circumcised ...