Monday, August 12, 2024

An understanding mind

 Haiku for a succession


David’s reign ended

with his death; he was buried

in Jerusalem.


His rule had been long,

forty years in all. His reign

brought stability.


Solomon followed

David as king.. We are told

that he loved the Lord.


Seeking God’s favour,

Solomon burns incense, makes

many offerings.


God speaks in a dream.

What do you ask of me, now

that you reign as king?


Solomon answers:

You were good to my father;

look upon my youth.


I would rule wisely

and govern well; grant me an

understanding mind.


The Lord is well pleased.

You asked for wisdom; granted,

you’ll have it in spades.


As well a wisdom

I’ll give you honour and wealth;

there’ll be none like you.


I’ll give you long life,

too, if you walk in my ways,

like your father did.



© Ken Rookes 2024

No comments:

Wisdom calls

  Haiku for the wise Calling in the street, Wisdom cries out for wisdom, ‘ stead of ignorance. How long will they choose foolishn...