Monday, July 10, 2023

Who's first?

Haiku of sibling rivalry


Rebeckah’s pregnant!

After all these years, Isaac’s

prayers have been answered!


Twins! The two children

fight it out within the womb.

Rebeckah’s anxious.


They are two nations,

says the Lord. The elder one

will serve the younger.


A time to be born.

The first boy was red, hairy.

They named him Esau.


The second emerged,

hand upon his brother’s heel.

They named him Jacob.


Esau the hunter,

loved by his dad; Jake, quiet

loved by Rebeckah.


Let me have some stew,

said Esau. Sure, said Jacob;

Sell me your birthright.


I’m starving to death,

what’s the use of my birthright?

Swear to me! I swear.


Trading his birthright

Esau ate the stew with bread,

and went on his way.


Short term benefit

or some vague future increase;

what would be my choice?



© Ken Rookes 2023

No comments:

Which one?

Haiku for an ordered process Calling a meeting of the hundred and twenty, Peter stood to speak. Having defected, Judas nee...