Monday, September 12, 2022

In anguish

 Haiku of an aching heart


He is in anguish

for his people; the prophet,

who feels their distress.


Alienated

from their God and King, who seems

to have departed.


Provoked to anger,

God questions them: Why seek you

after foreign gods?


They cut themselves off

from God, forgetting God's law,

flirting with evil.


The harvest is past,

the summer come to its end,

and we are not saved.


Their hurt is my hurt;

my people, broken and lost.

I mourn with dismay.

They languish, wounded,

unhealed. Will there be no balm

found in Gilead?


My tears have no end.

I am a fountain, weeping

for my lost people.


© Ken Rookes 2022

No comments:

Breaking Through

  Haiku of inclusion He’d had a vision. Didn’t know what it meant, ‘til the foreigners came. The Holy Spirit took him from...