Monday, July 26, 2021

Bread that is true

Haiku for hungry people


The persistent crowds

seek Jesus, boarding their boats

to sail after him.


You’re looking for me

because I fed you with loaves;

but you’re still hungry.


Bread for the belly

lasts but hours. Seek God’s bread,

feeding the spirit.


The bread that is true,

far better than Moses gave,

comes from the Father.


Sir, give us this bread

always; each, every day

feed us with your life.


I am bread for life,

says the Johannine Jesus;

come, believe in me.


Trust the things I say,

do the things I’m telling you:

so fulfil God’s work.


You, who are hungry,

and you who thirst for fullness,

hear my words and live.

 

© Ken Rookes 2021

 


© Ken Rookes 2021

No comments:

Much bolder than before

Haiku for preachers Prisoner Peter, now much bolder than before, is charged with preaching. His resurrection words are a...