Monday, February 22, 2021

Tough words

Haiku for disciples


He began to teach:

The Son of Man must suffer.

His friends are appalled!


Religious leaders,

take issue with his message,

are out to get him.


He will be silenced

one way or another. They

will do what it takes.


They will reject me,

I must be put to death. Don’t

say these things! They cry.


Time for plain speaking.

Would you be my disciples?

You must bear your cross.


Follow in my way.

Only by letting it go

can you save your life.


The gospel’s demands

must come ahead of all else.

Lose you life for me.


What is the world worth,

its pleasure, fame and fortune,

if you lose your soul?


(Hear this, O blind guides,

proclaiming your fake gospel

of prosperity!)


© Ken Rookes 2021

No comments:

The day is coming!

Haiku for partying Prophet Isaiah paints his partying canvas in bright, dancing hues. Come to God’s mountain, gather with you...