Monday, January 11, 2021

He's from Nazareth!

 

Haiku for beginning


John knows how to tell

a good yarn; no half-measures.

Jesus starts his work.


Jesus meets Andrew,

is introduced to Simon,

comes to Galilee.


Jesus found Philip,

put the hard word on him: Come,

follow me, he said.


Philip is convinced,

goes off to find his brother;

one Nathanael.


He’s from Nazareth!

Nathan is bemused. No-one

worthwhile comes from there!


Jesus laughs. Philip,

I see you’re an Israelite,

honest and true blue!


How do you know me?

I saw you in my mind’s eye,

under the fig tree.


Nathan is amazed,

exclaims: You must be God’s Son,

and Israel’s King!


Jesus answers him:

You’ve not seen anything yet!

(He exaggerates.)


Heaven will open,

angels will descend upon

God’s Son. What wonder!


© Ken Rookes 2021

No comments:

The wilderness road

Haiku of inclusion and welcome An angel told him: take the wilderness road, south, heading to Gaza. Philip did as told, ...