Monday, January 13, 2020

The changing of the guard

Haiku

John was a prophet
who had his own disciples,
loyal, devoted.

Tradition tells us
that when Jesus took the stage
John moved to one side.

I am just a voice,
John said, One sent to prepare
the way for the Lord.

Dove-like, God’s Spirit
rests on him. He will immerse
you in his Spirit.

That one there, John said,
pointing to Jesus. That’s him,
The Lamb sent from God!

Two disciples heard,
took leave from the Baptiser,
and followed Jesus.

Jesus turned, asked them,
What is it you’re looking for?
Great question, Jesus!

What are you seeking?
What will fill your emptiness,
what will give you life?

Who do you follow?
Where do your commitments lie,
who will be your Lord?

© Ken Rookes 2020

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Ken I appreciate your poems every week more then you will ever know. In the United Church of Canada I am known as a Licenced Lay Worship Leader who usually fills in when a ministers is away or a church doesn't have ministers. In the rural area I live in there is a shortage of ministers, so I find myself leading worship every Sunday. I look to your poems every week as a inspiration. I have used your poems in my sermons from time to time, this is one of those times. I was going with the Follow Me theme but I never thought of it as changing of the guard. It bears thinking about.

Ken Rookes said...

Thank you, Unknown. I am glad that you find my work helpful. I take great encouragement from your generous comment.

The day is coming!

Haiku for partying Prophet Isaiah paints his partying canvas in bright, dancing hues. Come to God’s mountain, gather with you...