Tuesday, May 19, 2015

WORDS AND MEANINGS


 I was in the manse next door to the church building and Op Shop. The door bell rang. A young man in a uniform stood there. “Excuse me,” he said most politely, “Can you tell me what a manse is? I have come for to inspect the fire appliances. The women in the shop let me into the church and showed me the one in the shop. They said the last one was in the manse. I’ve looked around and I can’t work out what a manse is.”

During a recent hair cut, I mentioned that I had worked as a chaplain. “What’s a chaplain?” She asked.

These things reminded me of asking the minister what the word, ineffable, meant. It had been in the last hymn. “Haven’t got a clue,” he said.

The story of the coming of the Holy Spirit to the disciples in Acts, tells us that one of the most remarkable things about that day was that people gathered from all round the Roman world, heard the message in their own languages.  


When we speak in words others understand we are more likely to help them know God’s love.

Rev Julianne Parker

No comments:

Much bolder than before

Haiku for preachers Prisoner Peter, now much bolder than before, is charged with preaching. His resurrection words are a...