Thursday, November 3, 2011

Party Girl

They say the bridegroom’s coming,

they say he’ll not be long;

the bride’s inside and waiting,

while the singers chant their song.

The guests have gone into the house,

they’ve started on the wine;

the party pies are getting cold,

but everything is fine.

We know the men will be here soon,

they’re just a little late;

Our lamps will keep us company

while we sit around and wait.

We maidens of the neighbourhood

bring lamps with which we’ll guide,

and dance the bridegroom to the feast;

then we’ll follow him inside.

Our lanterns are our entrée cards,

our dancing is our present;

we help to make the party swing

with movements incandescent

I’m feeling somewhat weary, now,

I might just rest my eyes.

I’m sure we’ll hear the cymbals

and the drums when he arrives.

. . . . . .


What’s that, you say he’s coming?

I thought I heard a shout!

Where did I put that lantern;

Oh damn, it’s nearly out!

Where are my friends with extra jars?

Of course you can spare some!

Go find a shop – you’re joking!

I might just as well go home!

Quite so, I should have brought spare oil;

right foolish I have been.

You think you’re very clever,

I think you’re very mean.

. . . . . .


Knock, knock!

Who’s there?

Merry.

Merry who?

Merry-maker!


Sorry, I don’t think we’ve met.


© Ken Rookes 2011

No comments:

The wilderness road

Haiku of inclusion and welcome An angel told him: take the wilderness road, south, heading to Gaza. Philip did as told, ...