Sunday, July 24, 2011

Wrestling with God

Peniel 1

Sometimes demons,
sometimes God;
we wrestle in uncertainty.
Is it the God within with whom I wrestle:
or is it the God within who wrestles through me,
applying the headlock with my arms
to overpower that which would claim my life?
I strive and grapple,
confronted by desires and fears
that lay hold of me and threaten cold paralysis;
whilst the needs of gospel sting me
to engage and respond with the heat
of fruitful living. In this life and death struggle
is found the unexpected;
glimmers of surprising joy,
and grace that brings the disparate things
together.

So I daily enter the ring to wrestle
with one called Love,
wanting to be overcome
but fearing, too, the cost of that defeat.
Victory is also costly.

No comments:

The wilderness road

Haiku of inclusion and welcome An angel told him: take the wilderness road, south, heading to Gaza. Philip did as told, ...