Monday, September 6, 2010

Download limits

Download limits


My broadband scheme

allows me to chronologically download

approximately 2.6 megasecs

per calendar month.

Once I exceed that pre-ordained limit

the seconds speed up and I am at risk

of cutting into next month’s allocation.

It’s a matter of using it wisely;

staying away from the dodgey sites,

and trying not to squander too much

upon the unworthy distractions

which seem to have proliferated

these recent years.

Those who know best about such things

tell me that I must strive to achieve

the maximum result

from the largest number of seconds.

They insist that I must expend my supply

in a prudent and balanced manner:

committing myself to a calculated juggling

of employment and family; friendship,

community, God, art, leisure

and pleasure. I am also required

to work diligently in order to counteract

the various quantums of guilt

that attach themselves

to some of the above activities,

and which seem to be wired-in

to my way of being.

I am, by nature, profligate,

and on those occasions

wherein I am less than vigilant,

the kilosecs slip clumsily through my

wasteful fingers;

especially when I become lazy

and allow myself to dream.

© Ken Rookes 2010

No comments:

The wilderness road

Haiku of inclusion and welcome An angel told him: take the wilderness road, south, heading to Gaza. Philip did as told, ...